Havanese Forum banner

Age for Neutering

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  earthnut 
#1 ·
Can someone please suggest the right age for neutering... i have heard so many differnt angles and arguments and id like to know what people think... ive heard anywhere from 5 months to when he first shows signs of marking etc... and i thought id ask you guys...

Right now i have an appointment for him on the eve of his five months.. but looking for advice if i should push that out or not...

Any help is much appreciated

#9 ·
Six months is a good time frame. That is also the age I reccomend for buyers of my puppies. It really depends on the dog though. You dont want bad behavors to begin then neuter. You want to stop them before they start. I can be really hard to correct regardless of the neuter. If he is exibiting negative behavior now then I would nip it in the bud right away. Or should I say nip the bud. :pound:

#13 ·
Yes, I would neuter him. He is already starting bad behaviour. Hopefully she doesnt allow him to do this and repremands him for it. Also, watch your little gir, she could start the same behaviours, marking and humping. She will just kind of walk along and squat walk a few more steps and squat some more, and so on.... I read a thread on here about someone who has a female that marks and even though she spayed her she couldnt get her to stop. I wouldnt reccomend a spay for female to be done earlier than 6 months unless she is pretty close to 6 months and is showing bad behaviour though. Just my two cents, hope it helps. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.