Havanese Forum banner

Hugs and thoughts to Marj's Ricky

69K views 865 replies 96 participants last post by  Sheri 
#1 ·
Tonight, Ricky wasn't feeling well and this was causing a nervous Mom so everyone pull together for a group hug for Ricky.:hug::grouphug: We all know how scary this can be when our otherwise happy little guys aren't themselves.

Please keep us posted Marj!

Amanda

#3 ·
Thank you, ladies! That means a lot to me. :)

I just got off the phone with an ER vet here and they recommend I bring Ricky in. I'm heading out now. It's about 20-30 mins. from here.

Ricky woke me up with his excessive panting. He has been shaking for an hour now and is very listless. His tail is between his legs and he won't move unless I move him. He did walk a tiny bit and went outside for a pee, but it was very slow going and I went with him to make sure he was o.k. He won't drink or eat a treat and I have no Benadryl and I'm freaking out just a little bit at this point!

have to run...... will keep you posted.

#4 ·
Ok, just drive safe and get that little guy to the doc. I'm sure all will be well, but all the same, my positive vibes will now be a prayer for you and Ricky.

Best to you Marj :hug:

#8 ·
Thank you. I appreciate your hugs! :)

I just got back home. I was the only one in the waiting room and the doc saw us minutes after we got there which was nice. Ricky had a high fever and was lethargic. He'd moan/whine when I'd pick him up by the rib cage so we weren't sure why that was. Doc had blood taken and we waited while it was tested. Over an hour later, she saw us again and said one of the two of Ricky's liver enzymes (ALT) was very high. Norm is like 50 and his was over 1000. She's thinking it's hepatitis though it may not be.

His white blood cells are high too and his fever was causing him to shake and twitch. She wanted to keep Ricky for at least 24 hrs. and I agreed. I can't help him here at home. They will have him on IV for fluids, anti-inflamm and antibiotic. If he responds well to that, then great. If not, they will have to wait until Monday and do an ultrasound on his liver and then maybe a biopsy if it's indicated. If he gets worse, they would have to consider Lepto or something else. No animal gets sick on Sundays, don't you know, so they don't have labs and technicians available then. Dumb! Ricky was feeling so out of it, that he didn't even budge or whimper when the doc took him away. That is NOT my Ricky! :(

The vet told me I did a good thing bringing him in when I did (3:30a.m.) because it was very quiet and in spite of two emergencies keeping them busy for a little while, we were only there a couple of hours. She said that some days/nights the wait to even see the vet can be 4, 6, and 8 hours during holidays! It was depressing there when the two animals that came in both died while Ricky and I waited for the blood test results.

I'm dead tired after 6 days of dealing with Sammy's diarrhea, vet visit, meds, Ricky's vaccine on Tues. (and no, she doesn't think him being sick now is related) among other things. I had all the energy in the world during the night with Ricky, but now I'm ready to plop myself in bed! Will post later.........

Thank you Amanda, for being available when I came on here at 2 something. It was nice to chat 'live' with you and get some feedback. You're a sweetie!! ((hugs)) :)

#9 ·
Oh Marj! :grouphug: I am SO sad to hear he's sick :( I really hope that he only continues to get better and heal from whatever is causing the fever. Poor baby :kiss: We are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers and let us know if there are any updates.

hugs,
Kara

#11 ·
Oh Marj.... what sad news to wake up to - Poor little Ricky, at least you took him in and he is in the right place now where he can be monitored. the 4 L's are all sending kisses, hugs & prayers his way, and your way!! When do you think you will hear more?

#12 ·
I'm so sorry to hear of Ricky's illness....it's so scary when our little furbabies get sick. How lucky you are to have an emergency vet like that. I'm not sure what I would do. I think there might be one over an hour from here.
I will keep Ricky lifted in prayer today.....keep us updated and we can only hope that things get better for him. Stay strong, Marj.
Judy

#20 ·
Oh Marj,
Iam so sorry, poor Ricky. This just can't be happening....everyone start saying a prayer for Ricky to get better ASAP, poor baby. I just woke up(it is 6:30 here and raining) and got on the forum to this....I am sooo sad now. I wish there was something I could do.

I was following the thread where the boys had diarreaha.... Missy had diarreaha so Iam reading all I can find on it. But one thing I did read, if they have diarreaha and even if they act like they still feel ok while having diarreaha, the diarreah can still....how do I say it.....cause them to have a low immune system, making it more likely they can pick up other stuff. She got it bad on a weekend and I didn't get her in to vet until Monday, she started on Fri, had it fri-mon., before we got meds.

Get some rest Marj, everyone is here for you. Let us know what the vet says....there is alot of knowledge to pull from here on the forum. We send our:hug::hug:wish we could be there to really hug you.

#21 ·
Marj :grouphug: I am so sorry Ricky is sick...I'm glad the doctor was able to see him so quickly...I know how scary this must be for you and your family...Me and the boys are sending lots of hugs and licks...to you and your family and give Sammy a belly rub for us..I am sure he is missing his buddy.

#23 ·
Oh my God Marj. What a shocking thing to hear when I got on this morning (later than usual). My prayers are with you both as you go through this scary time. Let us know how Ricky's doing. This is terrifiying! I'm sending positive thoughts in your direction.

#25 ·
I am so sorry to hear this! I hope everything turns out ok. Doesn't it seem like MORE kids and pets tend to get sick after opening hours and on the weekends? At least that what seems to happen in my family - whenever there is a real concern, it always seems to happen after hours!!

Alexa

#26 ·
Marj,
I am so glad you went with knowing your boy and took him to the vet. You caught the fever by feeling his pads as well. It it so scary when these little guys are sick cause they can't tell us anything.

A few years ago, I had Isabelle in for her regular blood work and her liver enzymes came up very high as well. Of course with her being small, they said likely liver shunt and I was crushed. I had to call my husband to come pick me up cause I was sitting in the car balling my eyes out. Well a lot of test (two times worth!) and money later, the conclusion was Belle must have ate something in the backyard or in the trash that morning. Ever since then things have came out fine. So I pray for you here you hear the same news soon

Amanda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.